Friday, July 20, 2012

Not all roads are on our maps.

I started writing my travel blogs two years ago when I went to Senegal as a way to let my students travel along with me. Because my students are the primary audience, I am a bit more discriminating about the kind of things I write. Today's post is one in which I'm not quite sure what to write. I write a lot about the many museums, monuments and other sites I see but, ultimately, it always boils down to the people I meet along the way.

One of the first persons I met on this adventure was Larry, a Science teacher from Spokane, WA. He and I have been roommates since my first night in St. Petersburg. Though we were both tired from our long flights from the US, we stayed up late talking about our homes, schools and families. Larry told me all about the state of Washington and the many challenges and accomplishments of teaching in his school. But, it was his daughter of whom he spoke with most enthusiasm.

After walking around St. Petersburg the next day, Larry was not feeling well and ultimately went to the hospital in Moscow; where they recommended he not travel. But, the lure of adventure and the need to discover what lies beyond the horizon compels every explorer and Larry continued his journey with me. We boarded the Trans-Siberian railway headed east; sharing a sleeping cabin with Jane and Harry from Illinois.

Like the tracks of our train we are all bound to follow the path fate sets before us. Larry continued his journey with me to Ulaanbaatar but fate had set a different path for him.

Life goes on whether our journeys are around the block or around the world. Everyday should be cherished and considered a great day in our great adventure of life.

Bon Voyage to my comrade, Larry. Though our paths part, our spirit of adventure unites us.

No comments:

Post a Comment